Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
MATERIALS, OBJECTS, AND EVERYDAY STRUCTURES
• Objects have observable characteristics and are made from materials.
• Materials have specific properties.
• An object is held together by its structure.
• The materials and structure of an object determine its purpose.
• Humans make choices related to their use of objects and materials that have a direct effect on the environment.
1. assess the impact on people and the environment of objects and structures and the materials used in them;
2. investigate structures that are built for a specific purpose to see how their design and materials suit the purpose;
3. demonstrate an understanding that objects and structures have observable characteristics and are made from materials with specific properties that determine how they are used.
How do I access & use databases?
Logins for all VLC databases are found on the back of the VLC Bookmark.
Talk to your LCI today!
Fun with materials, objects and everyday structures....
Some experiments to try in your class or at home!
Visit your public library or pay a visit to your school's learning commons to see if they have these or similar books.
Where Is My Town? by
Call Number: 307.76 NEL
Publication Date: 2001-01-08
A basic introduction to the concept of towns. Color photographs reflect the short, easy-to-understand sentences that improve vocabulary and comprehension.
A Year at a Construction Site by
Call Number: 690 HAR
Publication Date: 2008-10-01
A bird's-eye view of the construction process in building a school.
Call Number: 690 STO
Publication Date: 2001-08-01
Students will love using this series for those science and technology reports!
Dirt Movers by
Call Number: 624.02 KAL
Publication Date: 1994-03-15
Younger readers love snowplows, cement mixers, backhoes, bulldozers, diggers, and dump trucks. Children will be thrilled by the many large, full-color photos of these mighty machines in action!
Road Builders by
Call Number: 625.7 HEN
Publication Date: 1994-08-01
Now being re-issued in hardcover, Road Builders, is the perfect book for any child who can't get enough of trucks or construction. With Caldecott Medal-winner Simms Taback's bright and engaging illustrations and a fun and straightforward text by B.G. Hennessy, this picture book will satisfy even the most curious little minds.
K-Gr. 6: Ask Us/Demande Moi
K-Gr. 6: How do I find out about my topic?
Organize your ideas:
Mind Mapping Tools for You:
Don't forget the kidspiration software found on all UCDSB computers. This program is for visual learning:
graphic organizers, concept mapping, mind mapping, outlining, webbing, and plots and graphs.
Pixie 3 Software
Pixie is creativity software elementary students can use to share their learning through text, original artwork, voice, and images. It can be found on all UCDSB computers!