Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Updates due to School closures
Logins for all VLC databases are found on the back of the VLC Bookmark.
Talk to your LCI today!
Helpful Research Websites
Top Picks for Grade 8 Geography
Practicies to make Human Settlements Sustainable
- Providing Adequate Shelter for All
- Improving Human Settlement Management
- Promoting Sustainable Land-Use Planning and Management
- Promoting the Integrated Provision of Environmental Infrastructure: water, sanitation,
- drainage and solid waste management
- Promoting Sustainable Energy and Transport Systems in Human Settlements
- Promoting Human Settlement Planning and Management in Disaster-Prone Areas
- Promoting Sustainable Construction Activities
- Promoting Human Resource Development and Capacity-Building for Human
- Settlement Development
Environmental Factors Affecting Human Resource Planning
Climate extremes and variabilities include monsoons, floods, heat waves, cold waves, cyclones, winter storms and dust storms.These climate extremes have a major impact on people as well as the economy and the environment.
- There has been a notable rise in temperatures and atmospheric greenhouse gases in the past century all over the world. Governments around the world have been creating environmental policies to address these issues to help reduce emissions.
- Air pollution is a concern to the people living in urban areas. Major urban cities have seen a significant increase in the last ten years. This has a direct impact on the health and well being of residents of these large centres.
- People continue to move to country's coastal cities. Unfortunately it is effecting the ecosystem processes such as water quality, and fisheries.
Find Books for Grade 8 Geography
Search terms for books and ebooks for Grade 8 Geography
- Climate Changes
- Greenhouse Effect
- Settlement Patterns
- world geography
Gr. 7-8: Ask Us/Demande Moi
Gr. 7-8: How do I find out about my topic?
Gr. 7-8: How do I create & cite my work?
Eleven Types of Land Uses
1. Residential Land Use - where people live (houses, apartment buildings)
2. Institutional Land Use - government related (schools, town hall, police station)
3. Recreational Land Use - for fun, entertainment purposes (parks, bowling place)
4. Open/ Vacant Space Land Use - empty land
5. Commercial Land Use - places to do with [making] money (stores, banks)
6. Industrial Land Use - working places that help industry (factories)
7. Agricultural Land Use - land used to grow food etc. (farmland)
8. Railway Land Use - railways
9. Transportation Land Use -to do with transport (bus stops, road 10.Government Land Use - like "institutional"
11.Utilities Land Use - like hydro-electricity towers