Managing stress – Self-help tips
Stress is unavoidable, so it’s a good idea to learn some coping techniques to manage it. Here are some self-help tips you can share:
Take care of yourself:
- Get enough sleep.
- Eat right.
- Find time for rest and relaxation.
- Move your body. Physical activity is a great stress-buster.
- Move your mind. Learn relaxation techniques like mindfulness meditation or deep breathing.
- Think right. Try to develop a positive attitude of “realistic optimism.” For example, believe that good things can happen and note good things when you see them. Also, pay attention to your own “self-talk” and see how the positive versus negative messages stack up. You can decide to increase the positive messages you send yourself.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself because you’re not perfect – because nobody is!
Canadian Mental Health Association