Grade 3 science
GRADE 3 SCIENCE EXPECTATIONS
GROWTH & CHANGES IN PLANTS
BIG IDEAS: - plants have distinct characteristics
- there are both similaritis & differences among plants
- plants are the primary source of food for humans & humans need to protect plants & their habitats
- plants are important to the planet
EXPECTATIONS: By the end of grade 3 students should be able to assess how plants impact society & the environment; ways in which human activity has an impact on plants & their habitat; investigate similarities & differences in plants; demonstrate an understanding that plants grow & change.
STRONG & STABLE STRUCTURES
BIG IDEAS: - structures have both form & function
- structures are affected by forces acting on them
- structures need to be strong & stable to be useful
EXPECTATIONS: By the end of grade 3 students should be able to assess importance of both form & funtion, strength & stability in structures through time; investigate strong & stable sturctures to determine how their design & materials affect their load-bearing function; demonstrate understanding of concepts of structure, strength & stability.
FORCES CAUSING MOVEMENT
BIG IDEAS: - there are several types of forces that cuase movement
- forces cause objects to speed up, slow down, or change direction.
- forces in nature, such as high winds or water, can impact humans & their environment, & need to be treated with respect
EXPECTATIONS: By the end of grade 3 students should be able to assessimpact of forces on society & the environment; investigate devices, the use of forces to create controlled movement; demonstrate understanding of how forces cause movement, & changes in movement.
SOILS IN THE ENVIRONMENT
BIG IDEAS: - soil is made up of living & non-living things
- compositio, characteristics & condition of soil determine its capacity to sustain life
- soil is an essential source of life & nutrients for many living things
- living things interact with soil
EXPECTATIONS: By the end of grade 3 students should be able to assess the impact of soils on society & environment and vice-versa; investigate composition & characteristics of soils; demonstrate understanding of composition of soils; types of soils; relationship between soils and other living things.